Saturday, September 11, 2010

Where were you?

Where were you on September 11, 2001?

I was at work at a small private school in Bethpage, NY.  Roy dropped me off at my office and while he was driving to work called to tell me a plane had crashed into one of the towers.  My first thought was that some moron had gotten disoriented & crashed - a couple of weeks prior some fool with a hang glider had gotten hung up on the Statue of Liberty's torch - & I assumed this was another incident like that.  I wish.

We only had a radio - no TV - so I wasn't exposed to the images but hung on every word from the radio.  The staff had to decide whether or not tell the elementary students, but as the events unfolded it became obvious we had no choice.  I spent the day trying to reach parents that worked downtown - we couldn't put students on the bus unless we talked to families to make sure there would be someone there to meet students when they got home.  Cell phone service was almost non-existant.  It was a long day.  A lot of parents picked up their kids early - everyone just wanted to be close to their family.

When we finally got home, I locked myself in my room to watch the news - I didn't want my kids to see the images.  I just sat & wept.

Where were you?

4 comments:

  1. I was at home. My younger son was home sick from school and was watching TV. His show was interrupted with the news. We saw the towers fall, first one and then the other as it was happening. The TV was on all day. We couldn't stop watching the horror. We just sat in shock and disbelief, watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was at school in Chicago, sitting in my dorm room, unknowingly pregnant with Lex. A friend IMed me and told me to turn on the news. Sat and watched as the second tower was hit and all the horrifying images that followed. The El trains were only going OUT of the city because so many people were afraid the Sears Tower was next. None of the students were allowed off campus. The Red Cross came and set up a blood donation thing on campus and several friends and I went to donate, both trying to help and trying to escape the craziness of the news for a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at work. We all gathered in the kitchen to watch the events on a small TV. Because there were rumours that downtown Toronto could be next, we were all sent home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was on a bus to Northwest Ontario, on my way to work. i had no access to any media but i had heard some things on the route into work. when i got to work i remained glued to the tv for the day.
    unforgettable. unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete